Reflection

Reflection

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Fly the Friendlier Skies

I don’t particularly enjoy flying in any kind of craft, but the merits of flying in these small charter planes have got commercial flights beat in almost every way. If you have enough people going, the math actually works out in favor of these flights compared to even driving. Flying to Rochester, NY saves 8 hours of travel per person, knocking the travel time from 10 hours to 2 for a round trip. It allows a longer day of meetings and reduces the amount of overnight stays, putting less pressure on families at home. They do have their draw backs; however. These plans can either fly around weather or through it, because above it is not an option. Sometimes you have to wait out a weather system before you can take off. I have personally had one or to very bumpy and worrisome flights, although I was not on one flight were the door popped open. I steer clear of that seat next to the door when I fly. The planes are loud, but that allows me to zone out for an hour because it is too loud to talk. I told a friend of mine that I was in Rochester the previous day and was trying to explain the trip, and she asked how big the plane was. When I told her there were 5 seats, she asked if someone serves you drinks. I told her that would be a little difficult since you cannot stand up on the plane. But the benefits far outweigh the challenges. Aside from the actual flight time save, you can show up for an 8 AM flight at 7:55 without a problem. There is no problem parking and it is free. There is no check-in and you don’t have to take off your shoes or take apart your carry-on at the x-ray machine. I can only see this way of traveling expanding for business travelers. Charter flights just make sense in so many ways. There are areas of the world where these types of flights are the only reasonable way to get from point A to point B. For example one in eight people in Alaska have a pilot’s license. I would choose it every time, and I don’t even mind that there is no one to serve me a drink. I would rather have him keep his eyes on the road, or horizon, rather.

No comments:

Post a Comment